Jump to Navigation

Louisiana car accident laws and the settlement process

Imagine setting out for your summer road trip. Everything you need is in the back of the car and by the end of the week, you will be at the Grand Canyon. You had been planning the trip for several months and now all you had to do was jump on to I-10 and head west. Unfortunately, you were not the only one on the road. Before you even left Lake Charles city limits, another driver sideswiped you and brought your summer vacation to an early end.

Now, you are facing medical bills for your injuries, the insurance adjuster has already declared your car a lost cause, and you lost all the equipment you had so carefully packed. When people are involved in car accidents due to another driver's negligence, they often have the option to seek reimbursement for losses and compensation for their physical and mental injuries. An experienced attorney in the Lake Charles area can help you file a claim for your losses and fight for the compensation you deserve. Read further to find out more about the car accident settlement process in Louisiana.

Reporting the accident

In some situations, people must report a car accident to the police and Department of Public Safety and Corrections. If the accident caused an injury, death or property damage more than $500, then the state requires that you or the other driver notify the local police immediately. If the accident caused injury, death or property damage more than $100, then you must file a report with the Department of Public Safety and Corrections within 24 hours of the occurrence.

State insurance laws

The state of Louisiana requires that all drivers have liability coverage on all vehicles they possess. Drivers must have a minimum of $15,000 for bodily injury or death of one individual, $30,000 for two or more individuals, and $25,000 for property damage. While drivers have the option to purchase higher coverage, having no insurance could result in fines and loss of license.

The settlement process

In general, most insurance companies choose to settle car accident claims out of court. When you first file your claim with the insurer, an adjuster will assess the damages and the insurance company will then make you an offer for your injuries and the other damages. You do not have to accept any offer the insurance company makes, especially if the amount seems too low to fully compensate you. If the insurance company does not make you a fair offer, you can file a complaint with the Louisiana Department of Insurance and take the negligent driver to court.

If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to a car accident with a negligent driver, it is important to remember that you have the right to fight for compensation for your losses.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Vamvoras Schwartzberg & Associates, LLC
1111 Ryan Street
Lake Charles, LA 70601

Phone: 337-433-1621
Fax: 337-433-1622
Map and Directions

Distinguished AV | LexisNexis | Martindale-Hubbell | Peer Review Rated For Ethical Standards And Legal Ability FindLaw Network